Monday, March 31, 2008

Making Glitter Safe - FOR CHARITY!

Maybe you heard about the Ellen Glitter-Ban Drama and resulting peaceful rally coming up on April 8th in Burbank? If you haven't, where have you been? Don't answer that, just go to the press release or read all of the controversial posts from the always amusing Kathy Cano-Murillo, the Crafty Chica herself.

This week, Kathy gave this fun glitter rally a philosophical once over and began wondering "what if?"
  • What if people say
    • "Why are you rallying for this, and not something critical like the war, womens’ rights, immigration?"
    • "What do you want to get out of this?"
    • "How does this help anyone?"
    • "Why should Ellen (or anyone else) care?"
Leave it to Kathy to combine her love of glitter with her almost obsessive love of American Idol and toss in the fact that Ellen is co-hosting Idol Gives Back again this year, and suddenly the silly and fun glitter rally has a purpose: Auction off glitter art on eBay for Idol Gives Back.

Kathy says, "I am so serious/excited/devoted to this glitter/Ellen cause even more so now. So much that I am even parting with my beloved ceramic Chihuahua statue. It is covered in microfine holographic purple glitter that I mixed myself. I’ll miss him so much, but it is for a good cause!"


The Crafty Chica's beloved purple chihuahua - being donated for charity!

Since I'm a sucker for charity and I adore Kathy, I'll also be donating for the cause. I figure if she can give up her purple holographic-glitter chihuahua, then I can give up my glittered "Crafty Chica" sacred heart tote bag (heart design by Patrick Murillo), which I glitterfied on the Crafty Chica Cruise this year.


It seems the appropriate donation to make since it's COVERED with glitter AND I found a way to keep the glitter from flaking off -- it's a new off-label use for Aleene's Paper Glaze!

So please keep up on the blogs and we'll let you know when the eBay bidding frenzy will begin. Bid often and bid well folks! Let's make the world safe for glitter while we help out those in need.



If you would like to donate a piece of glitter art for the above cause, here is how to do it:
  1. Choose/make an item that has an element of glitter in it (any kind of glitter you want!), that you think will earn mucho bids.
  2. Send Kathy a picture or two of your item. Along with the following:
    • Name of item
    • Description of it's qualities/features
    • Value, starting bid
    • Short (3-sentence) bio of you

DEADLINE: ASAP

1 comment:

  1. Hi Krissi! Thanks so much for your sweet comment! This glitter for charity thing is way cool! You can probably guess I love anything sparkly!

    Also, I hope all goes well with the textile show! I am thrilled to be a part of it, although I won't be able to attend. I do hope some folks send me some pics to post on my blog. That would be cool! :D

    ReplyDelete