Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This time last year (#2)

I've actually been blogging since late 2006 (postings on blogspot only go back to this March), so every now and then, I'll copy and paste an old blog entry. This one is from September of last year (the 14th to be exact).

September 14, 2007

Yes, yes, yes. I asked for it by using “krissi sandvik fiber arts” as my shop title, but honestly, I know how to do a lot of other stuff! I know I confused you, but I just ask that you not pigeon hole me just yet! Here’s some of what I’ve been doing this week. My hubby has been working at home since Tuesday, so I haven’t had access the computer (aka The Great Time Suck). At the request of the illustrious Suzi Boneshaker, I am making some painted plaques upon which I will mount some of my painted polymer ’sugar skulls’ (calaveras de azucar). Guess which ones she inspired…..


Here are some of the polymer sugar skulls:

more of these babies are in the development stages.

With Dia de los Muertos fast approaching, I am also trying to come up with some new ideas since I get bored making the same art quilt over and over. Initially this was just going to be another “bobbin work” calavera de azucar — just in black this time. However, before I knew what I was doing, I had pulled out my fabric paints and brushes and gotten to work. I’m awaiting inspiration or a deadline, whichever comes first, to finish it. I do love my pal Nicolas Caesar’s idea of making this into a pillow, though.

I’m also paying off a debt (happily, I might add), which I incurred this weekend at the Scary Art Collective show at Body Tribe. Specifically, I went home with a new toilet seat painted by C!nder and am making four patches of the rocketship in return. Of course, these images are copyright protected by C!nder, so don’t be a dick and steal ‘em.

The original toilet seat by C!nder

“CRAP! WE’RE BEING PULLED INTO A WORMHOLE”
“FIGURES! WE WOULD GET STUCK IN THE GALAXY’S TOILET!”


Here we are with the tracing of the original and the fabric “colorforms” with fabric ink markings.


And this is step 2 - some of the stitching is done (the edge and the lines in the middle) and it is still attached to a dissolvable heavy stabilizer.

I’ve also been doing a lot of work with wire wrapping and hammering - no photos, but the back of my fused art quilt clock has some of my wire handiwork on it. As soon as my torch gets here, I’ll be soldering too! Like I said, I did it to myself with the word ”fiber” in the title….