Monday, June 30, 2008

Art Show and Benefit for the Midwest flood victims

Artists and art collectors, we have an AWESOME event coming up in a few short weeks to benefit the flood victims in the Midwest. Here's a quote from my beloved pal, The Queen of Trash, which got this all started:

FLOODING IN FRANKLIN, INDIANA

On a serious note, I have been very upset about the flooding in Franklin. Mister Lobo and I were in Franklin last year for the B-Movie Celebration. Upon arriving it looked like one of those small towns that only exist in the movies. Now, being that I'm The Queen of Trash, and quite prone to walking around in public in nothing but my corset and underwear, I was honestly expecting the angry mob to attack at any moment--but it never happened. In fact, something far stranger happened. They loved me!

Walking around Franklin on a Sunday morning, the old folks coming home from church waved and said "hello" and that they hoped that the festival was enjoyable. Almost anywhere else in the United States, I would be getting nasty glares, car horns honking, or perhaps even a piping hot cup of Starbucks to the noggin! They smiled and waved and as I got to know them, made me feel like I was part of the family. It boggled me to think that there was so much love and closeness in this community. If it weren't for the Cicadas (I'm terrified of bugs), I would have already packed up my things and settled there.

Now with the flooding, the town has been torn apart. They are bravely pulling together as the strong community that they are, but they need help. At the The B Movie Celebration this year, I will be donating many items to a silent auction, including a one of a kind, never to be made again, life cast of my bust! In the meantime, if you have anything that you can spare, I am asking you to please donate to the relief fund.


To further help with donations, The Q-o-T has rallied her artsy-type pals in Sacramento and elsewhere to donate artwork for a benefit show: The AMAZING COLOSSAL ART SHOW and benefit is a “B-Movie”-themed art sale to benefit the flood victims in Franklin, IN, home of the Midwest’s annual “B-Movie Celebration.” The event will be hosted by Franklin’s adopted daughter and our own local B-Movie goddess herself, The Queen of Trash, with an appearance by Mister Lobo!

Just think: rubber monsters, zombies, go-go girls, Mexican wrestlers, space girls in silver bikinis, paper plate saucers, giant robots, brains in jars, kung fu masters, death cars radioactive insects and, of course, amazing colossal people! Here’s the best part: ALL of the pieces will be very affordable (most under $100) and the majority will be $50 and under! The very air will abound with art, jewelry and trinkets that won’t put a dent in your wallet!

WE STILL NEED DONATIONS! There is still plenty of room for more art donations, so if you're interested, please e-mail me (art@krissisandvik.com) or Her Majesty (queen-of-trash@hotmail.com) and let us know. We are also in the market for a couple of sponsors to offset the venue fee and to provide some snackage, so if you know of some folks, please pass it on.

100% of profits will benefit the Johnson County Flood Relief Fund.*

Saturday, July 19th, 6pm – 10pm
Vox Gallery
Sacramento
Corner of X & 19th
Sacramento

* unsold pieces will be shipped to Franklin, IN to be included in a silent auction in September.

3 comments:

  1. I am one of the Franklin flood victims. I ran across your page about your auction to help Franklin flood victims and am deeply touched. I have been amazed at the outpouring of compassion and support from absolute strangers my town has seen. A simple Thank You is not enough, but after the flood it is about all I have left.

    Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much Brad. Your comment makes it all worthwhile - we are more than happy to do this.

    I would like to feature your comment at our event - if you know of others who would be willing to provide quotes, please have them comment here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be honored if you used my comment. Anything to help my neighbors. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete