Monday, February 16, 2009

Mean People (just don't be one)

I was going to devote this post to a long rant describing, blow-by-blow, the maddening story of what happened to me last night at my local grocery store that starts with an "S" and ends in "afeway."  However, I decided after some reflection (and a 24 hour cooling off period) to drop a large portion of the ranting and focus on the takeaway point (sorry for the "bullshit bingo" language there).

I had a grumpy old white guy jump in front of me in line last night at the store and then proceed to be really nasty to me about it.  I stuck up for myself (verbally), after which two women about my age told me to GROW UP. Grow up?  For sticking up for myself?  For something else?  I didn't get it.  Then I realized that I've heard that phrase, which had never in my adult life been uttered to me, twice in the last 6 months.  Hmmmmm.  Both times it was here in the suburbs of Folsom, both times by women about my age who didn't know me or anything about me, both times they were looking me up and down - finally settling on my hair.  (FYI:  We moved here 10 years ago for the city advertised "open space" and working class neighbors - since then most of the land has been paved over and has either malls or McMansions built on it. Yay Folsom.)

Sigh.  OK.  I get it.  Let's face facts here - I never expected everyone to LOVE the pink hair, but I do and seriously, it really doesn't hurt a single person.  I know some people will judge me poorly because of it, but seriously, unless you live with me, what do you care if I spend one day a month dying my shower bright pink?  When did hair color become a punishable offence?  Geez.  I was feeling pretty beaten down and sad.  I started wondering why I bothered to NOT be a total dick to people since it didn't seem to be getting me anywhere.  Then, this afternoon, in a moment of synchronicity, I became aware of an awesome website that I hope all of you will visit and that at least some of you will accept the challenge: operationNICE.com   It's just what I needed.  Not only will I continue to NOT be mean, I'm going to go out of my way to do something nice for someone every day that I leave my house, no matter how small a gesture I make.

So there.  Take that.  [me sticking my tongue out at the mean people at the store]

Rock on.  Be cool.  Make art.  Have fun.  Do nice stuff.