Thursday, June 5, 2008

This time last year

I started blogging officially in March of 2007 (using Word Press) & then this March, I happily moved my babbling self over here to Blogspot. WordPress is great - don't get me wrong - I just love the ease of comment posting and networking here on Blogspot (plus, it's gotten easier to use since Google took it over).

Here's a blast from the past - a post from June of 2007 when I was still trying to find my style. "Am I a quilter?" "Do I make accessories?"

I was working on my large sacred heart quilt and a decorated "sugar skull" inspired by the fabulous Patrick Murillo. I hope he doesn't secretly want MY skull (on a platter) for abusing his original creation with a bunch of sparkly thread. He and his wife Kathy (aka The Crafty Chica) have both been a huge inspiration to me along the way. It truly was a thrill meeting and crafting with them both on the cruise in March!

K

=================================

June 15, 2007: Mental Fred Flintstone Scramble

I tried to get goin' yesterday, but didn't seem to get anywhere. Today I clearly got some traction and gained momentum.

sacredheart1_ip_350px.jpg

Details:

sacredheart_detail2.jpg sacredheart_detail3.jpg sacredheart_detail1.jpg

(I need to take some better photos of the details, but I still have to bind this one and I think I'm going to add a few beads.)

Next - here is the base for a Mexican sugar skull -- I used a skull mask from Patrick Murillo's Dia de los Muertos "teachers' kit" to get me started. I was going to fuse on the decorations, but I just scored some awesome Ricky Tims sparkly thread, so I think I'll do a little more bobbin work (where you put thread too thick to fit through a needle in your bobbin, then sew from the back of your work).

Skully 1 - green (in progress)


==============================================

June 22, 2007: Quick Post on Ricky Tims Razzle Dazzle Threads

Just one word: AWESOME!







3 comments: