Thursday, October 9, 2008

10,000 Feet And Climbing!

This time three years ago I was easily defeated when faced with a 1 mile hike at 10,000 feet. Not only was I defeated, I was totally humiliated and went to the car to cry and feel sorry for myself while Ron did the Discovery Trail loop alone.

Today was the official rematch: Krissi versus the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.

I'll just tell you: I've been more than just a little apprehensive about the hike all week. Even though I had a great time hiking 5 miles at 8K feet on Tuesday I was wary of my abilities up another 2,000 feet. Ron was convinced I would have no problem; me - not so much. The proof, however, is in the high-protein, low-carb pudding:


October 2005 (top) and today (below) on the Discovery Trail at the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest near Bishop, CA.
Me on the Bristlecone "Discovery" Trail - 2008

OK, so not ONLY did I make it to the summit with a smile on my face (about a 300 foot climb - on top of the already high elevation), I would have gladly taken on the 4.25 mile "Methuselah" Trail if it hadn't been too late to finish before dark (and it was COLD and windy today). Again, Ron said he'd expected this reaction given my recent 'Body Tribe bootcamp' workouts with Allyson, but I doubted my abilities. Seeing the side-by-side photos now, I'm even more pleased and surprised than when I finished the hike - mostly just pleased. Thanks Al.

Afterward, we drove through Rock Creek Canyon and looked at some more birch trees turning amber & gold, but we'd missed the best light for photographs. No problem - we found another great place to hike on our next trip: Rock Creek Lake. Once again, we rewarded ourselves with some unexpectedly awesome homemade pizza at the Crowley Lake General Store, which we discovered on our last trip. Mmmmm. Their pizza is great and it's even better after a workout.

And now, some pretty pictures of several thousand year old trees for y'all:
at Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, White Mountains downed Bristlecone

2 comments:

  1. Right on sexy girlfriend! You're doing great and looking FAB! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dee! Mostly, I'm just happy I can actually do this stuff without dying!

    ReplyDelete