Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Stuff (Without Which I Would Surely Perish) #1

Business has been happily busy here at the estudio de Krissi y Skelekitty (although she's wanting top billing these days, the pushy minx). I didn't want you all to think I didn't love you any more, so I'm starting a series of "bloglets" I am calling Stuff (without which I would surely perish). In short, they are Krissi-style mini-reviews of things I love and MUST ALWAYS HAVE. Mostly I'll feature arts & crafts stuff, to be sure, but the occasional non-art product will be featured now and then.

For my first entry, here's a pretty traditional craft supply that I use in almost every mixed-media art piece I create (but if I didn't tell you, you might not even know it was there):



Tulip Fashion Glitter by Duncan in Silver Hologram comes in three sizes - ultra fine, fine and medium - but I have a particular love for the fine.

Until meeting Kathy Murillo on her Crafty Chica art cruise in 2008, I wasn't into loose glitter AT ALL, much to the continued chagrin of my long-suffering pal, Yoli. I still thought of glitter in big dullish, hexagonal chunks that gathered in the bottom of your winter decorations box after having flaked off your ancient Xmas stocking. However, I got one look at the line of glitters Kathy mixed and Duncan produced, with their amazing colors and shiny holographic goodness, and I was HOOKED.
My Crafty Chica glitter collection!

I use all of the Crafty Chica glitters in my artwork (most notably Goddess Gold, Frida's Fuschia and Bollywood Blue), but the most popular glitter is the holographic silver - it makes ABSOLUTELY PERFECT STARRY SKIES! Can you see it in the sky of "A Brand New Sky To Hang The Stars Upon...?"

A fave craft product...

A fave art/craft supply...


What about here in one of my (many) Venture Bros. fan art pieces, "The Grand Galactic Inquisitor?"

A favorite supply

Can't leave my favorite supply off of a new Skelekitty painting:
A favorite supply


I even used a bit in my most recent piece:
A favorite supply

And since I'm teaching a class of my favorite techniques this month, it showed up in one of the class samples, too.
"Hearts of Fire - Mixed Media Imagery" Class

I wish you could see just how fabulous this glitter looks under and between the layers of gel medium - the photos truly cannot do it justice.

If there's a takeaway point from this first SWWIWSP "bloglet," it is to look at ALL of your supplies when creating, and don't fear mixing your "craft" supplies in with your "art" supplies!

3 comments:

  1. I will get to see it in person soon! Those are my kitties, yay!

    I absolutely LOVE that "Brand New Sky..." piece!

    I have a question for you... How do you seal loose glitter on a shirt so that it won't come off in washing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am a BIG fan of glitter. I usually use the micro fine in my little tiny projects. It just seems size appropriate. I also love some glow-in-the-dark glitter that I found at Joanns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kit,

    While I don't use loose glitter on tees myself, Duncan (Tulip) also makes awesome glues for JUST THAT purpose! Try Tulip Fashion Glitter Bond.

    For a more dimensional look or for fine details, you can also try Aleene's Fabric Fusion Glue, which comes in a squeeze bottle OR A PEN (SRSLY AWESOME, RIGHT?)

    Everyone I know who has tried these products loves 'em!

    ReplyDelete