Friday, December 18, 2009

Instant "Homemade" Soup

I've had a few requests for my Basil & Bean Soup recipe lately.  It's something that evolved over the last ten or so years and one of those things I cook that my husband goes crazy for as soon as the weather turns each fall.  It's deceptively simple and made almost entirely from canned pantry ingredients (except for the garlic and basil, which is worth geting fresh).  The best eatin' is always the very last bowl.
  • 2 cans each of organic beans (10 oz):
    • Black
    • Pinto
    • Canellini (aka white kidney)
    • Kidney
  • 1 "brick" (carton) organic, free-range, low sodium chicken broth (I like Trader Joe's)
  • 1 28 oz can plum tomatoes (diced or whole)
  • fresh garlic to taste
  • fresh basil (2 small bunches, de-stemmed & roughly chopped)
  • italian herbs - dried (approx. 2 tsp)
  • 1 bottle Guinness Extra Stout
  • salt & pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp and 1/4 tsp respectively)
Open 1 can of each type of beans and rinse throroughly.  Place in stock pot with the chicken broth, half of the tomatoes, all the herbs, the chopped basil and crushed garlic.  Blend with an immersion blender (stick blender) until chunky to smooth. 

Add beer and remainder of WELL RINSED beans ans stir well.  Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for several hours.  Allow to cool and refrigerate overnight.  Enjoy with fresh sourdough bread (and probably some Beano).

Even through there is just Ron and me, I double the recipe and we live off of this until it's gone (unless my father-in-law finds out - then we have to share).  Of course, you can also freeze half and enjoy later.

Om nom nom!  Let me know if you make it and, if so, how it turned out for you!

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh, I have got to try this! I'm always on the lookout for new fast soups/dinners. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete