- 2 cans each of organic beans (10 oz):
- Canellini (aka white kidney)
- 1 "brick" (carton) organic, free-range, low sodium chicken broth (I like Trader Joe's)
- 1 28 oz can plum tomatoes (diced or whole)
- fresh garlic to taste
- fresh basil (2 small bunches, de-stemmed & roughly chopped)
- italian herbs - dried (approx. 2 tsp)
- 1 bottle Guinness Extra Stout
- salt & pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp and 1/4 tsp respectively)
Add beer and remainder of WELL RINSED beans ans stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for several hours. Allow to cool and refrigerate overnight. Enjoy with fresh sourdough bread (and probably some Beano).
Even through there is just Ron and me, I double the recipe and we live off of this until it's gone (unless my father-in-law finds out - then we have to share). Of course, you can also freeze half and enjoy later.
Om nom nom! Let me know if you make it and, if so, how it turned out for you!