Friday, September 18, 2009

Art Journaling, or "NOW I get it!"

Art journaling is all the rage with mixed media folks these days, but I'll admit that I've never been one to use an art journal.  Frankly, I just didn't see the point of creating a little book of art drawings that I wouldn't be able to hang on the wall. I mean, let's face it, I'm clearly not the kind of person who feels a need to keep much of anything to myself.  Besides, art is for sharing.  Even the most emotional paintings I make just for me, like the canvases I painted to work through my kitty Finnegan's death, often end up finding new homes.

However, once I started to look at my little Moleskine sketch journal as a place to test out techniques, exercise my brain, play with imagery and plain ol' PRACTICE DRAWING, stuff started to happen.
Final journal page

It's pretty.  However, it's not something I want to put on a more permanent canvas for a gallery as a representation of my personal style, but I got ideas for other paintings while I was working on this.  So yeah.  I get it now.  Art journaling.  Neato.

p.s.  Testing out one of the images as my banner for a few days, but I'm not settled on anything yet.

3 comments:

  1. I am starting one too...love the reds and oranges tones of the background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! It is a great exercise, isn't it? I recently discovered the same thing but hadn't realized I was actually art journaling until I read this. I had been trying to keep a sketchbook practically all my life. Finally all the ideas in my head needed a place to pour out in a somewhat cohesive place instead of just scraps of random paper, so I started writing and drawing in an old appointment book. When I fill that up I think I will get a real blank journal or maybe make one myself!

    ReplyDelete