Wednesday, October 20, 2010

In The Spirit

My GLAAD Spirit Day makeup
My GLAAD Spirit Day purple eyeshadow, all by Glittersniffer Cosmetics. 
Say, did you know she's running a GLAAD fundraiser?  Yep!  Check it out!


If you don't know about Spirit Day, you can read all about it here, but here is the short version:  Purple symbolizes 'spirit' on the rainbow flag, a symbol for LGBT Pride.  Wearing purple not only honors the three teenagers who recently took their own lives after experiencing anti-gay bullying, but it's a way to show every singly LGBT youth who face the same pressures and bullying, that there is a vast community of people who support them.

I live in Folsom, a pretty uptight little town 30 miles east of Sacramento CA (and about 2 hours from San Francisco, where I lived until my 30s).  In my neighborhood, I hear a lot about family values and how we need to "save the children" while people spread hate and fear with things like Proposition 8.  Oh, the irony.

Today, however, my faith in people may have been restored, if only a bit.  There were so many people just going about their regular business, albeit wearing an unusual amount of purple!  I asked a few if they were wearing it for the same reason I was (they all said they were!) and I'd venture to guess I made some new friends.



Oh, and if you don't know me and stuff like this matters to you: I am a straight, married woman in my 40s who believes that everyone is entitled to the same rights.  So there.  Take that.

No comments:

Post a Comment