Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Personal "Plan B"

Hey! You creative types out there! Yeah, YOU! If you aren't already a subscriber, today is THE day to start reading Kathy Cano-Murillo's blog, Diary of a Crafty Chica: Why "Plan B" rocks.

Skelekitty montage
Skelekitty was my Plan B.

I wanted to be a "great" fiber artist, creating stunningly colorful quilts that made you want to cry and laugh at the same time. Occasionally, I'd hit on one, like Hot Flash Rising, but mostly I just heard people crying out, "where's Skelekitty?!" What? I created her with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek! My mind kept telling me that bony cat wasn't 'art' and it felt like a waste of my time and resources to make $200 quilts featuring what amounted to a a cartoon.

First I reacted by instituting a moratorium - no more skele-creatures jumpin' on my quilts! Still, my friends and clients begged for her... After hearing over and over from C!nder, Nik, Yoli, everyone's favorite "Sacred Mama," Virginia, and even my own husband, how marketable that darn kitty cat was, I decided to let her take care of me. Now she's on prints, greeting cards, jewelry (available on Etsy and at Grind n Groove), custom gifts for my friends and this Fall, on rubber stamps! She even has her own blog - dang, that cat's unstoppable.

Plan B truly rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment