Monday, August 31, 2009

Bye Bye Mr. Finnegan (1990-2009)

It's been a tough week. My 20 year old kitty cat, Finnegan, who has been suffering from kitty-dementia for a while, has gotten worse. Now, instead of just wandering around at night howling, he has become aggressive, attacking our dog, both of the other cats, my husband and even trying to bite ME.

Finnegan Francis O'Malley (approx. 1994)

Late last week I finally decided to put him to sleep rather than risk an even more dreadful end (imagine a scenario where the dog fights back and perhaps even kills Finnegan). The earliest appointment I could get that fit my hubby's schedule was for tomorrow (Tuesday, 9/1), so the waiting has put an additional strain on the situation.

This cat has been with me since I was in my early 20s and has gotten me through break-ups, bad jobs, moves, family problems, money worries, unmedicated depression and more. Some days I wonder if I would have made it through my 20s, not to mention my 30s and into my 40s, without that fuzzy guy. I even gave up my engagement ring budget of $3,000 in 2002 to save him when he mysteriously stopped eating. I never once doubted that choice and am happy with my $299 pink sapphire and the extra seven years I got to spend with Mr. Ringie (nicknamed in 1998 for his tail, ironically enough).

After crying for the entire day on Thursday, I was sorely tempted to grab a $5 bill and hit the drive-through at In-N-Out for a Double Double (animal style) and an order of fries with which I could eat away the pain. Instead, I put my butt in the chair of my favorite stylist and got my "hurr did." Initially, I went in for a color touch up, but left with more (err... less, actually).

Pretty girl (said with sarcasm)
New hurr - no makeup
New hurr

YAY ME for NOT making a bad choice! And the sugar-free icing on this fat free cake is that my hair is off my neck during the hottest part of the California Central Valley summer.

In addition to the kitty issues, I have several art shows that are upcoming and I'm somewhat less than prepared for them. I'm finishing up some pieces, am working on a tribute to Finnegan which will be available at the Big Cat, Little Cat show at Body Tribe on 2nd Saturday, and am printing some 8x10s, so I'll be OK, but I'm still unbelievably rushed. Oh, and this is my very first year participating in the local Sacramento chalk art festival "Chalk It Up!" over Labor Day weekend - EEEP!

Go make a list of everything you need to do, check stuff off, then give your "fur people" some extra love tonight & thank them for being in your life.

xo

Krissi

p.s. Extra special thanks to my life-long friend, Joe "Tex" Selby for talking me into adopting Finnegan in the first place.

9 comments:

  1. Hurr look mahvelous.
    I am so sorry about Finnegan, though...hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry Krissi. It's such a bummer that those great years with our pets can't last forever. I am proud of you for getting your hurr did instead of eating at the I-don't-get-why-people-even-like-it-place called In and Out. Good choice. Thinking of you this week my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finnegan will go to kitty heaven with all of your good times and bad....tomorrow. That's kinda weird. But anyways. I love the picture of him. It's just stunning. I do love your hair and wish I could pull that off. I tried to get pink hair extensions in a store once and my 14 yo son took my arm and steered me right out of the door saying, "you don't want to do that mom". What a creeper that kid is. Kiss and Hold Finnegan tonight, if you can. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never easy. You know what is best. You two had wonderful times together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of this. I can HONESTLY say I understand what you are going through. My husband and I adopted sister kitty's the year we were married. They were with us for 16 and 16 1/2 years. Circle was like a real child to hubby. She was definitely his baby and stayed by his side always. She "took care of" him the year he had 3 surgeries. :) Serena was my baby and always kept me warm when I was cold. Both had to be put down due to severe medical conditions. Serena had a heart attack. Circle had kidney failure. Those were the hardest decisions we have ever made together. We love our memories and you will of Finnegan. Those little critters never really leave us. :) Thanks for letting me share, and do allow yourself to cry tomorrow. It really does help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I know how hard that is :( He lived a nice long life and tomorrow will finally be at peace.

    Your hair looks amazing - I love the new cut. *hugs!*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl, thanks for commenting on my doggy blog. I love to get feedback and see what people think:) I went through the same thing with my dog when I was young so I know how you feel.

    I had pink hair when I met my fiance but he'll kill me if I even think about doing it again..lol. It looks great on you tho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How glorious and how sad. 20 years is a long time for a kitty to live, it's nice he could be with you for so long. Viva Finnegan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krissi - I am late in reading this but am so very sorry for your loss - Mr. Finnegan had a great friend in you! Ken and Dilly send big sloppy kitty kisses and hugs to you and Ron too...

    ReplyDelete