Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Wordsworth's Daffodils be Damned

April is National Poetry Month? Seriously, whoever thought this up either never read Eliot's The Waste Land (and I seriously doubt that) or has a twisted sense of humor.

APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land....

Since I fall into the latter category, I can't stop laughing...

p.s. It's been a while, but yes, I actually read The Waste Land in its entirety, along with The Golden Bough and a thouroughly depressing book called The Rites of Spring that details the post-WWI obsession with death, destruction and the mechanization of society.

In the event you actually want to read some Eliot, I highly recommend The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock one of my favorite poems of the 20th century. Actually, of any century. On a personal note, this poem has actually become easier to understand the older I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment